Browse By Category
- Bridal Wear
- Cars & Transportation
- Catering & Drinks
- Celebrant & Toastmaster
- Chair Covers
- Chocolate & Sweets
- Crèche & Kids
- Dancers & Dance Lessons
- Entertainment Music
- Entertainment Other
- Furniture Hire
- Gift List
- Hair & Beauty
- Hen & Stag Dos
- Personal Trainers / Gyms
- Venue Decoration
Choosing the perfect headdress
Sparkles, pearls or feathers?
You're going to look amazing on your wedding day. You’ll spend a lot of time searching for the perfect dress, so don’t forget to seek out the perfect headdress too. After all, it’s the one thing that will be seen in every single photo!
Now is an exciting time to be a bride. Dress designers are offering styles to suit every aspiration and taste. Strapless has given way to structured lines, elegant period styles, or beautifully detailed updated classics. There’s more emphasis than ever on themed looks. Luxurious fabrics, bold or delicate colours, and gorgeous detail feature on all the catwalks.
The right headdress will finish the style you create perfectly. But it also needs to be something you love wearing, and something that reflects your personality.
Period drama - Art Deco glamour, Edwardian elegance
If you love Downton Abbey and the Great Gatsby you’ll almost certainly have fallen for these period styles. Stunningly feminine Edwardian looks are full of elegance, charm and exquisite detail. Art Deco is all about rich colours, geometric shapes and lavish ornamentation.
If one of these is for you then choose a headdress that complements the style from top to toe. Creamy pearls, little upright feathers and carved Mother of Pearl are perfect, especially if worn as a forehead band, whilst original jewels and dress ornaments, re-purposed into a vintage headdress, can add a touch of uniqueness and sparkle.
Often drawing inspiration from the great design houses of the 1960s and 70s, these styles are all about lavish fabrics, sculptured lines and sumptuous detail. Short hemlines are so on-trend too! You’re sure to feel like a movie star in any of these styles, so you need a Hollywood headdress to match!
Glittering tiaras with huge rhinestones work perfectly - remember Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffanys? Original jewels from the 1950s and 60s were designed to dazzle so why not look for statement pieces from this era reworked into a contemporary headdress?
The Duchess of Cambridge’s lace topped dress put this beautiful and luxurious fabric back into the spotlight and it’s become a much-deserved favourite for 2016 and beyond. Lace edged cathedral veils complete a regal vision for church weddings, especially when worn with a gleaming diamante tiara. But for a more relaxed look try a side tiara or comb of vintage lace appliqué or guipure embellished with sparkling crystals.
The colours of love
Colour features in just about every new bridal collection, either as detail or as a stunning alternative to a traditional white or ivory dress. Who hasn’t noticed Vera Wang’s amazing pink dresses? We’ve also spotted gilded golds, champagne, florals and delicate pastel washes. As Coco Chanel said: “the best colour in the whole world is the one that looks good on you!" - and not everybody looks great in white. If you opt for a coloured dress should your headdress reflect and enhance the colour too? We think so!
Festival, village tea party, enchanted forest
Floaty, flowery and summery these enduring vintage styles are romantic and perfectly complemented with relaxed hair and a fairytale floral headdress. Fresh wild flower garlands are captivating, but for a lasting headdress consider a floral vine or garland made with organza ribbons, silk or Lucite flowers and sparkling jewelled leaves.
Our top tips
- Just like your dress, the perfect headpiece might not be the one you imagined so do try lots of different styles and types.
- Bridal shops can only show you a small selection of the huge and varied designs on offer - so shop around once you’ve chosen your dress.
- A second dress may be well out of your budget, but a second headpiece for your reception can wow your guests and refresh your look.
- Brides are becoming bolder with their choice of headpiece - it’s a great way of making a statement on your special day! Feathers, lace and huge flowers are hot trends.
- Chat to your hairdresser about your headpiece - what will suit your wedding day style, how to wear it, and how to make sure it’s comfortable and secure.
- Commissioning a bespoke headdress gives you the opportunity to create something completely unique and personal to you.
- Why not treat your bridesmaids to gorgeous keepsake headdresses that can double as your thank you gifts. They’ll be able to wear them over again for parties and glamorous nights out.
Author: Crystal Heirlooms
Exquisite one-of-a-kind headdresses and wedding day accessories for discerning brides. Each unique creation is individually designed and skilfully hand crafted around beautiful vintage jewels, silk flowers, lace and applique.